Thursday 9 June 2011

Beautiful demoiselles

My new camera arrived today so I was able at last to get some pictures of the beautiful demoiselles.

There were quite a few of them out today.
I was surprised to see that there is a lot of variation in them.
These two are both males. The body is blue.



I thought the males had black wings and the females brown but the male on the right has clearly got brown wings.

These are two females. The one on the right has bronze body and light brown wings but the one below appears to have clear wings.










I'm wondering if there is change with age.

Answer (after a little research) - Yes, the brown winged male is immature.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where do I Walk?

Mainly in a fairly compact area on the north-east side of Steyning in West Sussex, UK.

For a map of this area see My Home Patch