Thursday 27 October 2011

October odds and ends

In early October Petra took a new route - across the maize fields from Maudlin Lane to Annington.

In the rough ground at the edge of the field were a few plants which I now know are field madder.







Along the road outside of Annington commercial centre I came across this group of fungi. I have not been able to identify them yet.













On another day (October 6th) I came across this late flowering black knapweed near the bypass. I think it should be linked to my page of "thistly things". The flowers are just like the creeping thistle flowers but the stems and leaves have no prickles. Like the thistles, these flowers are a good source of nectar for the late butterflies which are still flying in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where do I Walk?

Mainly in a fairly compact area on the north-east side of Steyning in West Sussex, UK.

For a map of this area see My Home Patch